SMART Initiative (Sustainable Mobilization of Agricultural Resource Technologies) is a community based non-profit organisation working in West Pokot and Trans-Nzoia Counties in Kenya. SMART Initiative was founded in January 2003, and was incorporated in the NGO Council in March 2010. SMART is dedicated to promoting low cost, biologically based, environmentally friendly and economically viable strategies in order to increase productivity for small holder farmer families.
SMART targets economically and socially disadvantaged small-scale farmer families and more importantly women and youth at the grassroots level. SMART was initiated to tackle the problems of deforestation, soil erosion, food insecurity, high pest prevalence, bio-diversity loss, water problems and health problems.
SMART envisions a community that is economically empowered; food and seed secure and lives in harmony with the ecology.
To facilitate horizontal learning in sustainable agriculture practices among small holder farm families in North western Kenya.
SMART’s Main Objectives
1) To attain food sovereignty at the household level;
2) To improve the community members health;
3) To have adequate and safe drinking water for both human and livestock and for irrigation purposes;
4) To create wealth by starting, supporting and strengthening income-generating agriculture related activities and local eco-tourism;
5) To improve and sustain ecological system;
6) To enhance community capacity building.